Our practice includes working with social workers and social service workers in navigating regulatory issues at the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers and equivalent provincial bodies. Our firm will assist social workers on the following regulatory issues:
- Advising social workers on compliance with relevant legislation and standards, including the Social Work and Social Service Work Act, 1998 and the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice Handbook, which have been approved in a by-law of the College as standards of practice for its members;
- Responding to various inquiries at the College, including drafting responses to complaints that are investigated by the College’s Complaints Committee;
- Advocating on behalf of social workers at formal discipline hearings before the College’s Discipline Committee;
- Representing social workers in appeals before the Divisional Court of Ontario; and
- Advising social workers on various practice issues, such as licencing issues, fitness to practice, privacy/confidentiality, and employment issues related to staff and contractors.
Responding to Complaints at the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers